Monday, March 7, 2011

The funny thing about gumbo

You can't just make a little bit of gumbo. It's impossible; I've tried, and the smallest amount of gumbo I've ever been able to make is eight quarts. You add a little of one thing, a little of something else, and before you know it, you have two or three gallons of gumbo simmering.

Gumbo is incredible, because with just a little money you can make this dish a delicacy; delicious, filling, and possibly the most nutritious one-dish meal money can buy. I want to share my recipe and my love of gumbo with everyone, but the trouble is, I don't HAVE a recipe; gumbo isn't a recipe as much as it is a process of love and intuition! But I'm going to try, because I believe that if you know the very basics of what goes into it, you will be able to make your own savory stew that will be unique as a fingerprint, warm, nurturing, and perfect.

2 TBSP chicken fat, bacon grease, or lard
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
2 TBSP flour
32 oz chicken broth
32 oz diced tomatoes
16 oz cut okra (frozen is fine)
1 cup black eyed peas
1 cup frozen or fresh lima beans
1 cup cut corn
1 lb catfish, salmon, or cod
2 links Andouille sausage
1 lb shelled shrimp
1 bunch collard greens or kale
2 medium carrots
2 medium potatoes
1 green or red bell pepper
1 TBSP red chili flakes (adjust to taste)
2 tsp Herbes de Provence, or basil, thyme, or pretty much whatever you have on hand
1 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste

Thoroughly cook the sausages in the grease; set aside to cool. Chop the onion and cook it in the grease until translucent; add the flour and brown slightly. Pour the broth in all at once and stir, then add the tomatoes. Chop and add everything but the fish and shrimp, add a bit of water if needed, and simmer it for 2-3 hours until tender. Add the shrimp and fish and simmer for 30 more minutes. Serve over "dirty" rice, which is just rice (I prefer brown) seasoned with a bit of garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and thyme.

Modify all the ingredients at will, but don't leave out the okra, or it's not gumbo!

I made this on Saturday, and I'm just finishing off a bowl of leftovers for lunch. It still hasn't lost it's charm, and if anything is even more delicious on the third day. It also freezes well (which is a good thing, considering how much of it I have...)

No comments:

Post a Comment