Thursday, March 3, 2011

The economy of tuna fish

One of my childhood comfort foods is spaghetti with tuna sauce. It sounds a little weird, I suppose; it's just white sauce, the same recipe as you find on a box of corn starch, with a drained can of tuna mixed in, served over spaghetti. My version has some shredded cheddar added as well; it's basically a stovetop tuna casserole. My kids love it, and it's one of those fast, cheap and easy fallback dinners I can make when I don't have much time and didn't plan ahead.

Something odd I've been noticing about tuna fish for the last several years is that the store brand is invariably superior in flavor and consistency to the more expensive name brands. I cannot for the life of me come up with an explanation for this... it really doesn't make any sense. For them to be the same quality could make sense; many different brands are the same product, packed in the same facility, with different labels slapped on. But in the case of tuna, the difference in quality, as well as price, is so remarkable as to defy explanation. If you buy solid white albacore, the cheaper store brand is typically a large firm chunk of fish in a can, with a bit of clear broth or oil, while the name brand version will be a smallish hunk or two swimming in a morass of fish mush. If you buy the chunk light tuna, the store brand is usually, as implied by the name, chunks of fish in water or oil that can be drained off, while the name brand is a can of swampy pulp that can't effectively be separated from the liquid it's packed in.

I have no idea what the deal is. I just pay my 85 cents and dump it into a pan of white sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment