Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Rescued by lentils

I was in the final stretch of tonight's dinner; the garbanzo beans I'd soaked for 24 hours were simmering away on the stove with onions, garlic, and herbs, and I had just started the barley to go with them when I gave them a stir and noticed a dark fleck that didn't look like a thyme leaf. A creeping tingle climbed my spine as I captured the speck with a spoon, moving under the light to get a better look. Oh barf! It was one of those tiny, vile brown beetles that infest dry goods. CRAP.

I had to think on my feet. "Hey," I said to the kids in a casual voice, "The chickpeas are taking longer than I expected so I'm going to make French lentil soup instead".

I wasn't concerned about them being grossed out as much as I wanted to avoid the inevitable stampede and sideshow gawking that happens when I tell them I've discovered vermin.

I'm not a hippie or a vegetarian; I'm just broke, and I have learned from long experience with being broke to make the most of the cheapest food I can get. Furthermore, the only thing French about the lentil soup recipe I was rapidly inventing in my head was the label on the tiny, green lentils I'd purchased just a couple days before.

Here's what I came up with:

Mince 1/4 of a white or yellow onion and saute it in a teaspoon of oil or butter

Add:

1 carrot, grated
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups broth (I used pork stock)

Bring to a boil and add one cup of lentils. Reduce heat and simmer until tender.

Add:

A pinch of Herbes de Provence
1/4 cup of minced ham
1 14-oz can of diced tomatoes

In a separate pan, scald 1/2 cup of cream, then stir it into the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve. I served it over barley:

Bring to a boil:

1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt

Add:

1/2 cup barley
1 TBSP toasted amaranth seeds

Reduce heat, cover, and simmer undisturbed for 1/2 hour or until tender.

I thought it was excellent! Two kids pronounced it delicious, and one refused to eat it at all. Relative success, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. They ended up being French! You added the Herbes de Provence!

    Were you intending to do the same thing to the garbanzos? I've never done anything with them except straight out of the can on salads or making hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to make a garbanzo soup, sort of similar to the lentil soup but without the cream or the barley.

    ReplyDelete